Tuesday 4 February 2014

On the menu today...


Picked 4 bunches of beautiful, aromatic basil recently.
Time for a new supply of pesto in my freezer.
 
In the processor goes the sorted and washed basil, lotsa garlic...


Pan toasted pine nuts...



 


I added some olive oil and gave a good whiz...
 
I then added some freshly grated parmesan cheese...
 

Another whizz till nice and smooth.
If need be, add a little water until smooth...

 
I put about 2 tablespoons into small bowls and then
throw into the freezer.
When frozen, I flip them out and put into zip lock bags.
I have a great supply for soups, pasta and anything that I fancy!
 
 

 
I also made this!
Super healthy peach jam.
Made a batch recently and it quickly disappeared!
Why?
Really, really low in sugar and delicious.
Did I mention healthy?

I bought about 1 kilo of peaches (or whatever fruit you like),
chop up, I even left the skin on and just a good wash.
In pan, little water and cook until mushy and all gooey.
I then added about 1/4 cup of sugar, or by taste.
Normally, for jam you add about 1/2 the amount of sugar as the amount
of fruit that you have, which is a lot.
 
Once sugar mixed and melted in, and some of the liquid has thickened up
a little, I take a hand blender to it.
Not totally smooth, I like the look of some chunks in it.
I then take about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of chia seeds, add to jam and mix in well.

If you have never used chia seeds before, you are in for a treat.
Once the jam is cooled, I keep it in the fridge.
The chia seeds help to thicken up the jam to perfection.
So that's why you don't need a lot of sugar to help thicken it.
Plus, chia seeds are a great super food, and healthy healthy healthy for you.
 
I use them most days in smoothies, stirred into yogurt, even to help thicken soups!
 
Try it, enjoy it, and let me know what you think...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...